Module 5 – Job Seeking Skills
Visiting an employer
Often making a phone call is faster and easier than making job search visits – but with a visit you can sell yourself on the spot. Try and dedicate one day a week for cold calling visits. Visiting an employer is a good approach for jobs such as labouring, retail, hospitality, factories, shops and petrol stations.
You may be interviewed then and there so you need to be well prepared.
Here are a few things you need to do before you go and visit.
- Think about what sort of job you want and what skill set you have that matches it
- Be ready for questions – prepare your own questions also
- Learn a bit about the company before you visit
- Make sure you are clean and tidy and wear suitable clothes
- Have an updated CV with you